- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary $17.87 - $23.76 gross per hour
Summary of Duties
Thurston County Public Works, Solid Waste Division, located in Olympia, Washington, is seeking to hire a responsible and dependable Solid Waste Scale House Operator. This is a front-line customer service position that works primarily alone in an outdoor or non-traditional office setting, with almost constant contact with the public, operators of commercial vehicles, and other County employees.This position is responsible for processing all incoming and outgoing vehicles that are disposing of solid waste (trash) at the County's solid waste facilities. The work involves using a computer and computer software to account for vehicles, type of materials being disposed, load weights, and determining appropriate solid waste disposal fees. Employees are required to demonstrate consistent accuracy and integrity in handling, receiving, and accounting for cash, checks, credit cards, and account charges. This position also requires a friendly demeanor and the ability to listen and effectively communicate rules and directions to the public in a tactful manner.
This is a regular 0.85-time position, approximately 32-35 hours per week, includes excellent benefits, and reports to the Tollhouse Supervisor. If you have at least one year of work experience involving cashiering duties and public interaction, we encourage you to apply.
Work assignments include rotating, in accordance with a predetermined work schedule, between the primary solid waste facility in Lacey, Washington, and two remote sites in Rainier and Rochester, Washington. The facilities are open seven days per week, which may require Scale House Operators to work weekends.Each position will work approximately four days per week including Saturdays and Sundays. There are occasional opportunities for additional shifts and/or overtime.
This job requires the ability to stand for long periods of time, walk moderate distances, reach overhead, and lift up to 50 pounds. Depending on the work assignment, this position will work inside a scale house, kiosk, or outside during all weather conditions and may be exposed to hot and cold temperatures, noise, disagreeable odors, precipitation, and physical hazards from working around moving traffic and trash. Wearing long pants and safety shoes or boots is required.
Other specific duties include:
- At remote sites, measures loads of refuse for cubic yardage to determine categories and costs for loads;
- Answers phone calls from the public and provides accurate information;
- Logs daily and weekly receipt sheets and deposits cash receipts;
- At remote sites, schedules delivery and removal of transfer trailers by vendor and;
- Performs daily custodial maintenance such as sweeping and litter collection.
- One year work experience requiring public contact and cashiering duties.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Current Washington State Driver's License.
While not required, preference will be given to candidates with one or more of the following:
- Customer service experience;
- Work experience using personal computers and computer software;
- Bookkeeping or accounting experience;
- Experience working as a scale operator;
- Experience working at a solid waste landfill, transfer station, or drop-box facility;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work with diverse audiences using tact, patience, and courtesy and/or;
- Demonstrated proficiency in keyboarding and ten-key data entry.
Other Position Related Information
Questions about this Position? The contact person for this recruitment is Gerald Tousley, Thurston County Solid Waste Facilities Manager, (360) 867-2900.
Please note: Candidates will be subject to a background check prior to hiring.
This position is:
- 0.85 FTE
- Represented by a Union
- Eligible for benefits including a retirement plan, pre-tax savings accounts, comprehensive health care and dental/vision care, and paid vacation and sick leave
- Eligible for overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
Items required for consideration:
- Answers to supplemental questions