- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.Come and be a part of this success.
About the role
The Specialist Geologist I is accountable for designing, planning and safely executing Greenfields exploration programs in North America. The role is responsible for developing technical work programs designed to simply and effectively test for giant resource potential whilst ensuring operational plans are designed to deliver against technical requirements from early stage reconnaissance through to discovery. Accountabilities span Prospectivity Mapping, Opportunity Selection, Target Generation, Target Testing and Delineation phases.
This position is a grade 8 role.
In this role you will:
- Providing necessary support to the Exploration team in order to identify and undertake new opportunity generation and assessment
- Provides input into ensuring that reconnaissance, target definition activities are effectively designed, executed and progressed from a technical perspective, to build and maintain a portfolio of drill-ready exploration targets
- Accountable for testing of drill targets, including definition of technical work required to identify and prepare targets for drilling
- Responsible for completing data capture, analysis, interpretation and archive of all data
- A minimum of an earth science based degree (B.Sc Honors or M.Sc) with ideally 2-6 years’ of industry related experience or exposure
- Proven geoscience technical background with ideally input into an exploration project activity portfolio
- Field orientated with visible safety leadership and an understanding of sound risk assessment and management
- An demonstrable understanding of greenfield exploration geoscience inputs and activities
- Exposure to planning and execution of exploration work programs is preferable but not critical
- Exposure in use of geological software packages to develop 3D geological models and data capture and storage software is ideal
About the company
BHP Billiton is the world's largest mining company. Its origin comes from the merger (2001) of the Australian company Broken Hill Proprietary (BHP) and the British company Billiton.