- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- San Francisco
Founded in 2008, Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can belong through healthy travel that is local, authentic, diverse, inclusive and sustainable. Airbnb uniquely leverages technology to economically empower millions of people around the world to unlock and monetize their spaces, passions and talents to become hospitality entrepreneurs. Airbnb’s accommodation marketplace provides access to 5+ million unique places to stay in more than 81,000 cities and 191 countries. With Experiences, Airbnb offers unprecedented access to local communities and interests through 15,000 unique, handcrafted activities run by hosts across 1,000+ cities around the world. Airbnb's people-to-people platform benefits all its stakeholders, including hosts, guests, employees and the communities in which it operates.
In order to build the world's most loved travel company, we need the world's most interesting and talented people. Are you one of them? If so, we want to talk to you!
Airbnb is seeking an exceptional, business-oriented and pragmatic attorney with deep expertise in managing trademark, copyright and domain name strategies and portfolios in-house for global consumer and enterprise companies with broad global reach to join our growing legal team. This is a truly unique opportunity to lead these areas globally, collaborate with an extensive network of outside counsel on advancing our IP strategies, and coordinate with a talented team of regional in-house lawyers on the implementation of global strategies around the world. The Senior Counsel - Trademark & Brand Protection role will report to Airbnb’s Lead Counsel - IP & Marketing in San Francisco.
- Primary responsibility for maintaining valuable established and growth-phase brand portfolios, including managing ongoing prosecution and maintenance of global trademark, domain name and copyright portfolios for Airbnb and HotelTonight
- Directing outside counsel and coordinating with regional in-house counsel on enforcement measures, including reviewing and instructing on potential dispute matters, identifying and managing strategic brand protection litigation, and devising creative, business-driven resolutions to trademark/brand protection disputes in collaboration with key business partners, where appropriate
- Proactively auditing trademark and domain name portfolios and making recommendations to continue protecting or abandoning trademarks and/or right-sizing domain name portfolios in collaboration with/input from various internal stakeholders
- Conducting due diligence on intellectual property aspects of acquisitions/divestitures, including review of purchase/sale documentation and analysis of disclosed IP and managing integration of IP into Airbnb portfolio
- Collaborating with Central Brand and various business units on the design, implementation and evolution of brand guidelines and outbound brand permissions
- Managing domain disputes and UDRP proceedings globally
- Advising functional teams and business units on the availability, defensibility and commercial advisability of proposed trademarks and domain names, including conducting trademark searches and providing guidance on use and registration issues
- Lead and provide oversight to various cross-functional teams supporting brand enforcement, anti-fraud, DMCA take-downs and other trademark/copyright complaints
- Reviewing/providing comments on trademark/copyright/IP language in various forms of agreements for corporate/business groups including agreements for vendors, artists, corporate sponsorship, international music licensing, digital music licensing, partnerships, real estate deals, influencer/celebrity engagements, photography licenses, magazine collaborators, agency engagements, film and other content agreements, employee IP assignments, etc.
- Reviewing and setting up processes for coordinating and reporting on trademark/ copyright/ domain name matters globally
- Creating and delivering IP rights scope and clearance, enforcement strategy, IP-related process training for business and legal teams worldwide, as necessary
- Ensure global consistency on business advice and compliance guidance with Intellectual Property and domain name regulations and laws across broad cross-functional stakeholders and regional legal teams
- Stay apprised of developments in legal and regulatory developments affecting Airbnb’s trademark, copyright, domain name portfolios/strategies and brand protection activities
- Assist with litigation, disputes and regulatory investigations that may arise in connection with the company’s marketing, advertising, production and creative content creation activities, as needed
Candidates should have a strong attention to detail, be execution oriented, thrive in fast-paced, high-intensity environments, have strong business acumen, superior analytical and writing skills, and should be enthusiastic, well organized and team focused. Strong interpersonal and communication skills and a highly developed sense of humor are essential.
- JD and a minimum of ten (10) years of trademark/copyright/domain name and brand protection counseling, support and strategic leadership (with a strong preference for relevant in-house experience with leading global technology companies)
- Member of the California Bar (in good standing) or eligible to register as California Registered In-House Counsel
- A strong working knowledge of the Airbnb platform, evolving product lines, and competitive landscape
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement and evolve global trademark/copyright/domain name and brand protection strategies and workflows
- Experience with centralized and decentralized global trademark/copyright/domain name portfolio management
- Extensive prosecution and litigation experience (both firm/in-house), with strong preference for some experience with managing global prosecution/drafting in-house
- Experience with international trademark clearance in-house
- Experience with trademark/copyright/domain name M&A and integration matters
- Strong preference for experience with trademark/copyright/domain name and brand protection experience in China and India
- Demonstrated ability to deliver timely, effective and strategic legal advice that is current with the evolving legal and regulatory expectations
- Established ability to independently manage medium to high complexity matters, including issues of first impression
- Skilled at contributing to strategic business conversations, key business priorities and revenue goals and integrating these into ongoing issue spotting and risk assessments on trademark/copyright/domain name matters and brand protection activities
- Able to create and deliver engaging educational programs related to trademark/copyright/domain name matters and brand protection activities
- Demonstrated ability to perform beyond expectations in a fast-paced high growth environment, including the ability to multi-task and effectively prioritize.
- Management experience preferred
- Experience working with or in support of diverse communities
- Familiarity with CDA 230, DMCA, E-Commerce Directive and other regulations related to internet platforms preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- High level of integrity, professionalism, intellectual curiosity and willingness to grow.
- Highly developed sense of humor a must