- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
The Director of Accounting's primary role is the timely production on a monthly basis of accurate financial information in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, such information being reconciled to the annual budget with explanation of variances.
This role will supervise an accounting staff of five and will be responsible for enforcing policies and procedures with respect to accounting and procurement, as well as for accounting operations, including the general ledger, fixed assets, accounts payable, accounts receivable, as well as the integrity and accuracy of financial information, maintaining adequate internal controls and ensuring compliance with laws and regulations.
The Director plays a role in the preparation of the annual budget, periodic re-forecast exercises and communication to the department heads of their monthly result status reports and monitoring of their variances to budget.
This position is the main resource in the support, maintenance and users training on the computerized applications affecting financial reporting, including Concur, the travel and expense management application, Host Analytics, the Enterprise Management Platform, Great Plains, the business accounting software and Core Integrator, the accounts payable workflow.
This position will participate in certain review processes, including sourcing procedure (procurement) and the expense management review.
The Director plays a key role in the preparation of the information and leads analysis for the year-end financial audit and tax information and directly supports the CFO and COO in preparation of information for the Marlins Board and Ownership group.
The Director of Accounting has significant visibility across the organization at the most senior levels.
This role will provide a critical client service and consulting function across the organization.
This includes regularly meeting with all Department Heads to ensure understanding of budgets and pacing against budget.
This role will be required to have an in-depth understanding of all line-level expenses, with the ability to assist the CFO and COO in our ongoing Cost Efficiency and Cost Transparency initiative.
The Director of Accounting will have direct responsibility in the organization's ability to meet its annual budget as well as quarterly projections.
The Director of Accounting will have frequent opportunities to work with the CFO and COO of the organization in this capacity, providing tremendous opportunity for growth, mentorship and development.
The Director of Accounting provides the critical function of development and oversight of employee expense policies.
This role has significant responsibility and growth potential in assisting the CFO and COO to shape policies in a way that are fiscally responsible and operationally auditable.
The Marlins are in a period of continuous improvement which creates a large opportunity for this role to have impact on the organization and its governance.
This includes process automation and driving efficiency in the Accounting Department.
The Director of Accounting will have the opportunity to lead a Vendor Cost Management initiative.
This includes analyzing our vendor landscape, and implementing best practices to create a framework for categorizing and managing preferred to niche vendors.
This will involve working across the organization to categorize and consolidate spend across preferred vendors.
The Miami Marlins is a fast-growing organization focused on success.
We look forward to adding top talent to our front office team as we build a championship organization.
Essential Functions: Accounts Receivable
- Oversee the entire Account Receivable Process.
Advertising & Sponsorship Revenue Tracking
- Control entire cycle including contracts, invoicing, collection, revenue recognition, etc.
- Maintain Corporate Sales commission template and calculates commissions due monthly Fixed Assets
- Recording additions, disposals, depreciation, reporting and reconciliation.
Tracking and documentation of major capital improvements and sums reimbursable by the County from the Capital Reserve Liaison with County officials for submission of capital reserve reimbursement requests and all projects included in the Capital Assets Annual Report Month End Closing cycle in accordance with Board of Directors' information issuance schedule, including balance sheet, income statement and major variances to budget analysis Financial Reporting
- In addition to standard monthly financial reports, produces special reports and ad hoc analyses as needed by executive leadership and Board of Directors.
A leader on the committees for Expense efficiency and management through the Sourcing process Key participant in the Budget & Reforecast Management through Host Analytics, the Enterprise Management Platform Revenue Recognition
- recognition and reconciliation of deferred revenue for all sources of revenue: Ticket, Parking, Broadcasting, Advertising & Sponsorships, Non-Baseball Events, and Revenue from the League.
Sales Tax and Parking Surcharge processing and submissions Disbursement control
- approval of wire transfers prior to release and review of wire transfer journal entries Maintain Daily Cash reporting Assist in year-end audit, Revenue Sharing audit, and tax preparation Revenue Sharing Reporting
-Production of MLB's Financial Information Questionnaire ("FIQ"), financial reports compiled for MLB in a non-GAAP format Other Reporting
- Census Bureau Reports, Ownership Information, Tangible Property Tax, 1099s Marlins Foundation
- a newly created 501c3
- provide administrative support Corporate and Social Responsibility Qualifications & Requirements: Minimum of 12 years of experience in Accounting including experience managing other accounting and/or finance professionals.
3+ years' experience in corporate finance Public accounting experience Excellent organizational skills Highly effective leadership abilities
- mentors and develops staff Builds teams and fosters cross-discipline collaboration Able to adapt to continually changing organizational structures and needs Detail-oriented with excellent analytic skills and interest in continuous process improvement Ability to manage priorities and meet deadlines in a dynamic environment Strong communication and interpersonal skills Proficient in Excel and other financial applications & systems (EPM) Education/Certifications/Skills Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance CPA Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains) experience Host Analytics or similar platform experience a plus We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.