- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
We are looking for passionate data scientists and researchers to building next generation forecasting models and algorithms for Walmart. Forecasts drive $200 B + inventory replenishments annually. Improved forecast will help drive down the inventory days of supply and reduce waste for perishable grocery – savings measured in billions of dollars – while improving our instocks.
Effectively predicting demand involves learning from past sales and modeling the effects price, promotions, store placements, local events, weather etc. Doing this a Walmart scale – over 500 M store item combinations - makes it one of the largest and most challenging problems of its kind in the world while also being the most impactful. Talk to us to if you are interested in taking up the challenge.
As a Data Scientist you will play a unique role in driving the future of the next generation Forecasting models researching, designing and implementing cutting edge algorithms. Responsibilities include:
• Conduct advanced statistical analysis to provide actionable insights, identify trends, and measure performance
• Build learning systems that monitor data flows and react to changes in customer preferences and business objectives
• Collaborate with engineers to implement and deploy scalable solutions
• Provide thought leadership by researching best practices, conducting experiments, and collaborating with industry leader
• PhD in statistics or machine learning or Applied Mathematics or related technical discipline with 3+ years of experience
• Experience in areas such as data-driven statistical modeling, discriminative methods, feature extraction and analysis, supervised learning.
• Proficient in R/ Python and SQL. Experience working with large data sets and distributed computing tools a plus (Map/Reduce, Hadoop, Hive, Spark)
• Inquisitiveness and desire to learn.
• Strong analytical skills including the ability to structure problems for analysis, analyze the data and understand root cause.
• Ability to deal with ambiguity and effectively prioritize competing objectives.
• Forecasting experience in an online and/or retail environment is preferred
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills along with strong desire to work in cross functional teams
• Attitude to thrive in a fun, fast-paced start-up like environment
About the company
Wal-Mart Stores, Doing business as Walmart, is an American multinational retailing corporation that operates as a chain of hypermarkets, discount department stores, and grocery stores. Headquartered in Bentonville, Arkansas, the company was founded by Sam Walton in 1962 and incorporated on October 31, 1969. As of January 31, 2017, Walmart has 11,695 stores and clubs in 28 countries, under a total of 63 banners. The company operates under the name Walmart in the United States and Canada. It operates as Walmart de México y Centroamérica in Mexico and Central America, as Asda in the United Kingdom, as the Seiyu Group in Japan, and as Best Price in India. It has wholly owned operations in Argentina, Chile, Brazil, and Canada. It also owns and operates the Sam's Club retail warehouses.