- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- Santa Clara
Job Description and Responsibilities:
Coherent is a world leader of lasers and laser-based technology for materials processing, microelectronics, scientific, life sciences and medical customers. The light we deliver touches almost every aspect of human life—vision correction to cell analysis, precision welding to 3-D metal printing, gravity wave detection to brain research. Put your talents to work at Coherent where you can create and innovate enabling technologies that will push the frontiers of science and technology.
We are looking for a staff mechanical engineer to join our solid-state and optically pumped semi-conductor laser development team. In this position you will work closely with many facets of the organization including Program Management, Optical Engineers, Electrical Engineers, Manufacturing, Customer Service, Marketing, NPI, etc. This position is ideally suited for inherently curious, hands-on engineers that can manage all aspects of product development (from concept to production support) from a position of technical leadership. The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- The development of laser platforms, products, assemblies, sub-assemblies and components.
- Design and develop precision opto-mechanical parts and packaging for laser products
- Facilitate optical design development by providing mechanical engineering input and support.
- Manage/mentor the efforts of junior engineering resources.
- Significant emphasis on design requiring innovative, intuitive, creative problem solving based on sound mechanical principles and understanding of materials, heat flow, vibration, fluid dynamics, etc.
- Support design concepts with hand calculations, FEA, etc.
- Investigate, create, and/or develop solutions that will improve design solutions or reduce cost.
- Perform first article assembly and design verification testing.
- The development of assembly and manufacturing processes.
- Design, assembly and verification of all process/manufacturing specific tooling.
- Create, modify, update and maintain well-organized solid-model files, drawings and documentation according to standards.
- Generate Bills of Materials.
- Technical lead transferring product to production.
- Understand and implement Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing where necessary.
- Clearly communicate project requirements and status.
- Work with/manage vendors to achieve cost effective designs and timely delivery of material.
- Work with customers to discuss, understand and/or establish requirements.
- Understand how things go together, ergonomics, quality, reliability and DFM.
- Learn about existing products and develop technical expertise.
- Understand and follow strict safety procedures. Education and Work Experience:
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in an engineering environment.
- Proficient with Solidworks.
- Proven written and verbal communication skills.
- High accuracy in work and attention to detail.
- Free-space laser product development experience is highly desirable.
- Experience designing lasers, laser systems or other high precision, high stability components and assemblies.
- FEA experience analyzing for thermal, structural, vibration, and flow.
- Experience with Solidworks EPDM or other document vault program/procedure.
- Experience with Agile for document control.
- Competence with Microsoft office products (Outlook, Powerpoint, Excel, etc)
About the company