- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- San Francisco
The Airbnb content strategy team is looking for a Taxonomist who can shape and manage a scalable ontology structure as Airbnb grows. You’ll develop a taxonomy strategy that meets the needs of both our internal and external customers. You’ll help build the taxonomy practice on our content strategy team, working closely with research, data science, engineering, operations, localization, and product management to define experiences that are intuitive for multiple audiences and meet our business needs.
- Maintain a comprehensive topic taxonomy for classifying content in a natural, interpretable manner, at multiple granularities.
- Create intuitive, conversational, and on-voice categories, tags, and definitions that can be used with both internal and external audiences.
- Manage the taxonomy update process, owning its effectiveness and collaborating with data science on data integrity.
- Coordinate and build alignment with business and platform teams and stakeholders across Airbnb to optimize for consistency and effectiveness over time.
- Provide guidance about ontologies and semantic representations, supporting recommendations with data.
- Work with product and data science to identify gaps and areas for improvement in the taxonomy, as well as support any taxonomy-driven product strategies.
- Work with localization to ensure that the taxonomy works across languages and cultures.
- Work with engineering to maximize the effectiveness of the infrastructure and tools that support the taxonomy.
- Promote taxonomy across the organization.
- 3+ years managing product taxonomies.
- Experience using taxonomy management systems to maintain categories, attributes, and other metadata.
- Ontology development and information domain modeling experience.
- Experience working with content systems and establishing the relationship between content topics.
- Proven ability to work on ambiguous projects and deliver effectively in cross-functional teams.
- Experience with building and shipping taxonomies and related features for content websites, apps, or software.
- Experience partnering closely with data science and operations teams.
- Experience with an international taxonomy.
- Solid understanding of user experience design principles.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Passion for Airbnb’s mission and deep empathy for our diverse community.
- A portfolio or other work samples showing the impact of your content taxonomy work.
Education & Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in English, Information Management, or equivalent, plus 5+ years’ work experience.