- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
Technical Assistant I U of MJob no: 503740
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Campus Distribution Services
Categories: Skilled Labor, Technical
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Provides distribution services on campus by delivering, picking-up, and removing freight and packages including palletized goods, bulky or heavy items, crated materials, and bulk shipments that are received at Distribution Services or other locations, to customers affiliated with the University. Picks up, delivers, and moves goods and materials between departments.
- Delivers freight and packages and operates assigned vehicles.
- Loads, lifts, handles, secures, and delivers items which include heavy and bulky items, lab and computer equipment, office and printing supplies, hazardous materials, packages & mail, exam & course materials including completed test sheets, and other items.
- Operates material handling equipment, some of which requires a hoisting license.
- Documents delivery data in accordance with departmental procedures which may include the use of handheld scanners and other electronic devices.
- Operates material handling equipment in compliance with safety regulations; maintains vehicle by properly fueling, inspecting, cleaning interior/exterior on a regular basis; monitors routine vehicle maintenance schedules and reports problems according to departmental procedures.
- Determines the best routes, methods, equipment, and rigging requirements needed for deliveries by inspecting and measuring door openings, elevators, stairways, other passageways and verifying weight capabilities of elevators.
- Exercises judgment in resolving unanticipated delivery point problems.
- Checks vehicle weight requirements; monitors and balances loads.
- Provides answers to customer inquiries relative to Distribution Services.
- Reports a summary of all customer questions and concerns to supervisor promptly but no later than the end of the current work shift.
- Maintains and promotes a positive, friendly customer service approach in a diverse environment.
- Looks for ways to improve customer satisfaction within the scope of assigned duties.
- Attends and participates in training as required.
- May provide functional supervision to student and other employees who are assisting with these job duties.
- Complies with state and federal hazardous materials regulations, in accordance with EH&S guidelines and procedures.
- May supervise one or two student employees.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Class D Drivers License.
- Hoisting License Class 1C required within 6 months of hire.
- Incumbent required to be trained and tested in Right to Know Law.
- Working knowledge of material handling equipment.
- Ability to read, write and effectively converse in the English language and to work effectively with numeric notations, such as purchase order and tracking numbers.
- Knowledge of personal computer software, including Windows, MS Word, Excel and Outlook Email.
- Ability to operate computers with hand-held scanners and other devices to input data.
- Knowledge of shipping, receiving, distribution, delivery procedures and warehouse operations. Includes the ability to inspect shipments and document damages and other information as required.
- Knowledge of uses and limitations of motor trucks used by Distribution Services including vans, cube vans, and delivery vehicles.
- Knowledge of and experience with vehicle maintenance, forklift and material handling equipment operation and use of simple hand tools.
- Knowledge of safety and security procedures in a distribution or warehouse facility.
- Ability to communicate effectively and to comprehend and carry out simple and complex instructions, with a diverse population.
- Ability to work independently, make sound decisions and to promptly respond to emergency situations regarding vehicle and materials incidents.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Ability to perform strenuous duties including driving, operating material handling equipment, lifting heavy packages and objects, bending, stacking and climbing stairs with packages.
40 hours per week
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Nov 7 2019 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Nov 13 2019 Eastern Standard Time