- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary $18,000.00 - $30,000.00 unpaid work
Technical writers communicate complex information clearly, concisely and accurately, and without relying on jargon. As a technical writer, your role involves tasks such as writing conceptual overviews and procedures, reading and writing example code, or updating help center queries and FAQs. Technical writers play a big part at Google. They are a key link between engineers, marketing associates, developer advocates, as well as all the external users and developers, tying together many vital but disparate parts of the Google ecosystem.
The Platforms Engineering technical writing team is looking for an experienced technical writer to assist in developing NPI hardware and data center deployment documentation to support Google's expanding infrastructure needs. You will work with engineers, technical project managers, and other technical writers to create high quality documentation to support deploying Google's next generation compute and data center infrastructure.
Google is and always will be an engineering company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on some of technology's greatest challenges and make an impact on millions, if not billions, of users. At Google, engineers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on massive scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From Google Ads to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience writing hardware and data center documentation.
- Experience writing accurate and concise documentation.
- 4 years of relevant experience in technical writing, product documentation, online publishing, or technical blogging, with a portfolio of writing examples.
- Experience writing for engineers and technical project managers.
- Experience with HTML and managing files in a CMS. Proficiency in a Linux environment.
- Ability to navigate ambiguity, support multiple projects, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to write in a range of styles and tones, from highly technical to informal prose.
- Excellent communications and teamwork skills, with the ability to take initiative on tasks.
- Manage multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment.
- Write, publish, and maintain high-quality documentation and online content.
- Edit, clarify, and proofread documents written by others, and coach non-writers on ways to improve their writing skills.
- Conduct audience analysis and cater documentation deliverables to the audience’s needs.
- Work closely with engineers to create PRDs, design specs, deployment/installation guides, and product briefings.
About the company
Google is not a conventional company, and we don't intend to become one. True, we share attributes with the world's most successful organizations - a focus on innovation and smart business practices comes to mind - but even as we continue to grow, we're committed to retaining a small-company feel. At Google, we know that every employee has something important to say, and that every employee is integral to our success.
We provide individually-tailored compensation packages that can be comprised of competitive salary, bonus, and equity components, along with the opportunity to earn further financial bonuses and rewards. Googlers thrive in small, focused teams and high-energy environments, believe in the ability of technology to change the world, and are as passionate