- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
DePaul University is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information or any other legally protected status, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local EEO laws.
Job Title Tuition Counselor
Job ID 3814
Location Lincoln Park Campus
Full/Part Time Full-Time
At DePaul University, we are looking for candidates who want to join us in our mission to provide access to education for all. Successful candidates welcome ideas and perspectives from colleagues and students representing a wide variety of cultures, backgrounds, religious beliefs, and experiences. We seek collaborative, open-minded and hard working professionals to work in a real world urban learning environment. Are you exceptional, yet modest and open to challenges? We seek achievers and leaders that want to bring their passion and skills to our well-respected community of approachable colleagues. Build your career with us.
The Tuition Counselor provides holistic financial counseling to all incoming and currently enrolled students. Working within DePaul Central under minimal supervision, he/she is responsible for addressing escalated student inquires/issues, administering payment plan(s) and supporting all service channels (email, phone, in-person, presentations, etc.). In addition, the Tuition Counselor is responsible for performing default prevention activities and must have excellent interpersonal, written and analytical skills to support this.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Provides expert guidance to incoming/transferred students in determining their direct costs of attendance (tuition rates, housing expenses, food contract and other fees) and the various options to pay for it (financial aid, federal loans, payment plan options, etc.) to minimize payment delinquency.
- Serves as primary contact to students with various account-related functions such as but not limited to the charges posted, credits, and financial aid.
- Provides assistance with the electronic payment portal, generates itemized statements, facilitates back-up documentation for 1098t tax forms, and requests refunds (from payments & Title IV aid) when needed.
- Participates in the administration of the University's payment plans including meeting enrollment goals, troubleshooting online application, monitoring financial activity and performing soft collection efforts with the purpose of reducing outstanding receivables and minimizing plan cancellations.
- Supports DePaul Central’s one-stop mission by serving as a second-level expert who is fully trained in Student Accounts, and cross-trained in Financial Aid and Student Records.
- Cultivates liaisons with other areas for support in facilitating resolutions for students and is readily available to accommodate business needs (work extended hours, weekends etc.).
- Participates in DePaul Central/Student Accounts outreach activities and attends/contributes to staff-development training and meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
- High school diploma.
- Bachelor's degree.
- May be subsititued for 4 years of equivalent direct work experience.
- 1-2 years of experience in higher education or in a financial environment.
- Knowledge of the PeopleSoft student financial module.
Other Skills & Abilities Reqd
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently, effectively, and under pressure during peak times.
- Ability to interact with all stakeholders with tact and diplomacy.
- Excellent mediation and negotiation skills.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Team oriented and able to embrace change.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to spend periods of time either sitting or standing.
- Ability to spend extensive time viewing monitors.
You may upload other attachments (Transcripts, Portfolios, Writing samples) in the “My Activities” tab of your profile.
- Travel between campuses as needed.
- Occasional extended hours and/or weekend work required, depending on the volume and demand.
Salary & Benefits Package:
DePaul offers a comprehensive package including competitive pay and benefits to attract and retain the best talent in order to further the University's mission. For more information, please visit the following pages:
Required Background Check: