- Entry level
- No Education
- Salary to negotiate
- New York City
UW - Underwriting
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): No Travel
Relocation Provided: No
National Union Fire Insurance Co of Pittsburgh, PA
Vice President, M&A – Tax Manager
Your future team
AIG’s underwriters develop insurance solutions that address the exposures of companies and individuals, and embody AIG’s tradition of innovation, bringing to market groundbreaking insurance solutions for our changing world. AIG’s underwriters help to find insurance solutions for risks from a range of areas including life insurance, aviation, financial lines, casualty, environmental, catastrophic events, high net worth individuals, and boardroom liabilities.
Managing a team of Senior Underwriters and Underwriters on a variety of transactional insurance solutions. In addition to technical underwriting of their own insurable risks, the Tax Manager will be a referral point for other senior members of the underwriting team, and will provide support on the structuring, underwriting and negotiation of transactional insurance solutions, including representations and warranties insurance, tax liability insurance and contingent liability insurance.
Your contribution at AIG
The quality of Senior Leadership is a defining factor for a company’s success. Senior Leaders are responsible for developing business strategies and/or translating those strategies into meaningful outcomes and ultimately, business results. As a Senior Leader, you reach across geographical and functional boundaries to create alliances that further the organization’s objectives and market position. Your deep and broad industry knowledge allows you to foresee external conditions that could potentially affect AIG’s future.
Among other things, the Tax Manager will:
- Act as a first referral point for the underwriting team for transactions being underwritten in North America.
- Manage certain members of the M&A team.
- Lead workflow assignments to members of the team.
- Act as a senior point of contact for clients, brokers and other deal professionals.
- Support the North America M&A Manager on a day-to-day basis with running the group.
- Continue to develop and refine the suite of transactional insurance products offered to our clients.
- Participate in the formulation and implementation of the Group's strategy at the product line level.
- Conduct background research on the parties to a particular transaction and the industries in which they operate.
- Review and understand the client's motivation for requesting the insurance coverage, the role the insurance is playing in the transaction, and the value of the insurance to the transaction.
- Review and understand the agreements and other documentation relevant to the analysis and assessment of the risk.
- Analyze and assess the underlying risk in accordance with the relevant product line policies and procedures.
- Prepare and negotiate non-binding indication letters, insurance policies and binder agreements.
- Interact with clients, client’s advisors, brokers and other deal professionals.
- Participate on underwriting conference calls.
- Manage the underwriting process and, in cooperation with the legal department, the selection of and work performed by outside counsel.
- Present preliminary findings and conclusions to senior underwriters and management.
- The Tax Manager will participate in the execution of the Group’s relationship development and marketing plan. Among other things, the Regional Manager will:
- Participate in the marketing of transactional insurance to brokers, private equity firms, law firms, investment banks, accounting firms, consulting firms, and prospective clients.
- Develop and prepare presentation, marketing and informational materials.
What we are looking for
- Strong written and oral communication skills; extremely proficient in drafting of legal and commercial documents;
- Detailed understanding of complex corporate structuring and financing arrangements;
- Ability to negotiate with commercially and legally sophisticated advisors and clients;
- Highly focused, enthusiastic and creative thinker;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaboratively work on a global basis;
- Ability to understand and execute commercial decision making against a backdrop of legal risk assessment; and
- Ability to be a self-starter and work independently.
Technical skills & knowledge
- Minimum of 5+ years’ experience in M&A legal, corporate finance or other relevant business;
- Previous M&A underwriting experience required;
- Ability to manage challenging workloads, and to prioritize competing needs on time;
- Ability to multitask, and to be decisive on technical underwriting points;
- High competency in understanding complex tax structures, including those relating to corporate M&A transactions and tax credit arrangements
- Strong drafting and negotiating skills;
- Specific knowledge of transactional legal exposures (tax structuring issues, litigation and computation and measure of damages);
- General knowledge of and ability to comprehend financial statements/financial reports/commercial reports;
- Competency in preparing and giving presentations (PowerPoint, Excel, etc.) to brokers, regional offices, legal advisors and others;
- Proven record providing direction, motivating and growing employees to drive high levels of performance
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission – creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.
About the company
American multinational insurance corporation with more than 88 million customers in 130 countries. AIG companies employ over 64,000 people in 90 countries. The company operates through three businesses: AIG Property Casualty, AIG Life and Retirement and United Guaranty Corporation (UGC). AIG Property Casualty provides insurance products for commercial, institutional and individual customers.